An elevator pitch can be one of the most stressful situations you encounter in your working career. You’re invested, you’ve put in so much time and effort, it’s all on the line - and you only have 2 minutes or less to impress.
Luckily for you our General Manager Jodie compiled a list of five key tips to nailing an elevator pitch in an article she recently wrote for Marie Claire magazine in collaboration with the Wade Institute.
Her key tips are:
1. Dress to impress – first impressions really matter. This doesn’t mean wear a suit; it is better to dress for your own personality and in keeping with the business or idea. Plus if you re wearing an outfit that makes you feel good you will be more confident.
2. Anticipate questions – know your stuff inside out. Often the scariest thing about delivering a pitch is the fear that you won’t be able to answer potential questions, so go in completely sure that they won’t be able to stump you. This will give you more confidence, and confidence sells!
3. Prepare your pitch - use slides. Having your pitch not just written down but organised in a visually stimulating way helps you structure your pitch and commit the key messages to memory. Phone apps like Canva are great as they’re always with you, which can be especially handy when an elevator pitch opportunity comes about unexpectedly.
4. Practice makes perfect – ‘to fail to prepare is to prepare to fail’. Always practice your pitches or speeches over and over. If you really want to test out what the audience is going to experience try using a timer, a voice recorder and a mirror. That way you know your pitch is within the time limit; know what your voice sounds like and which words need emphasising; and what your body language is saying.
5. Most importantly - be yourself. It’s important to make sure your pitch is written and delivered in a language and style that suits you and that you’re comfortable with. You are the key selling point of any business or idea you have so being genuine, authentic and passionate will make your pitch shine!